Oral Surgery/requring mandibular debrinement following tori removal

QUESTION: Hello. I have a rare bone disease entitled osteo petrosis or "marble bone) I had mandibular tori removed 7 months ago and still have a large piece of exposed bone protruding from the right mandible. I am prone to osteo mylitis and have contracted it from the original surgery. The oral surgeon wants to perform a debrinement procedure to remove this piece of bone. What does that entail? ?

ANSWER: Kerri -  A debridement procedure is usually a fairly simple procedure to remove the surface bone that has minimal blood flow and expose the underlying bone that has active blood vessels within.  This exposure of the underlying blood vessels can accentuate the healing of the bone and can allow the growth of the gum tissue over the newly exposed bone.  Not viewing the area in your mouth that is the problem, makes it a little difficult for me to be sure exactly what the doctor wants to do, but having debrided exposed bone, I have found this to be a rather simple procedure that does not usually produce excess discomfort.  The important part for the subsequent healing is to induce good blood flow.  That is the main problem and one that can often be accomplished simply by warm salt water rinses.  

I cannot be sure, without examining you, but with the ostopetrosis, a debridement of the surface has the best chance of inducing healing.  

If you have additional questions. feel free to contact me again.

QUESTION: Hello, Doctor Joel, I would like to thank you for your clear, concise manner of answering this inquiry. I have one final though and it is this: is this procedure done under general or local anesthetic? Thanks so much and have a great day.

Kerri - The procedure could be done under general or local anesthesia.  Once the area is numb via an injection there should not be discomfort, but if you are apprehensive the general anesthesia will make you more comfortable.  So the decision is yours and based on your apprehension and nervousness about the procedure.  Either way you will be comfortable.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC