Oral Surgery/CHIN PLATE REMOVAL

Question
Hello Dr. Teig, I had a sliding genioplasty several years back, and I want to have it removed.  I want to know how long of an operation it is and the difficulty?  The reason for the removal is that I have noticed a change in the soft tissue on the chin, and was able to get a CT scan done.  My orthodontist showed me the results, and it seems that there is bone that grew over the plate.  This is causing an unnatural apprearance that I wanted corrected.  Thanks in advance, Paul

Answer
Paul - Of course, without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but a recontouring of the chin can be done and if the cause of the unnatural appearance is the plate, it can be removed.  

So you need to find a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to help you.  If you have difficulty finding an appropriate one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will help you find one near you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired