Hello Dr. Teig, I had a sliding genioplasty several years back, and I want to have it removed.  I want to know how long of an operation it is and the difficulty?  The reason for the removal is that I have noticed a change in the soft tissue on the chin, and was able to get a CT scan done.  My orthodontist showed me the results, and it seems that there is bone that grew over the plate.  This is causing an unnatural apprearance that I wanted corrected.  Thanks in advance, Paul

Paul - Of course, without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but a recontouring of the chin can be done and if the cause of the unnatural appearance is the plate, it can be removed.  

So you need to find a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to help you.  If you have difficulty finding an appropriate one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will help you find one near you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC