Oral Surgery/Exposed jaw from tooth extraction

Question
I recently had a lower wisdom tooth extracted and it was pry out. The procedure took 45 minutes till finally the tooth was extracted after some drilling had been done. The dentist put stitches but they seem to not be there anymore after 3 days and the area is open with what looks to be like the jaw bone exposed. My concerns are will the wound eventually close up and how can I keep the area clean so that no food particles stay in there possibly making the problem worse.

Answer
Hi Aidan,

Sometimes even oral surgeons have a hard time removing a tooth. Sutures falling out in 3 days, is a little unusual and bit early. If the bone is exposed, you should call your dentist and see them quickly. Although it will heal eventually, re-suturing it (if necessary) might help to speed things up. Regarding cleaning, you should stay away from mouthwash and just use saltwater twice a day. Food particles will get in the socket. You do not have to worry about it. The wound will heal itself inside out.  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery