Oral Surgery/Extra tooth extraction

Hi, my daughter has an extra tooth and she is going to get it removed next week. We don't have the best insurance, and the people at this office never seem to have answers to my questions. My daughter is only 9, and I just want to know if this surgery is common, and if it will leave her a huge scar? The extra tooth is right in the middle of her mouth in the front, underneath the nose bone. And how long is the recovery usually? I'm just a little scared and I would like some more info. Thank you for  your help.

Jacqueline - The formation and extraction of an additional tooth or teeth is not totally uncommon.  Many children develop them and they are usually extracted to prevent a normal eruption of their permanent teeth and to help assist in preventing the erupting teeth from erupting in a bad position.  

If done by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon there should be no scar at all.  The position of her tooth is also not uncommon.  Any discomfort should be only for a few days and she should be normal within a week.  

So relax, this is fairly common and most have no problems if the surgery is done by a skilled surgeon.  Any further questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC