Oral Surgery/Formed hard knots after BMP procedure

Question
Hi, it is day seven after my son has undergone a surgery to repair his Fistulas from a cleft. He had some bleeding that occurred after surgery that formed a hematoma. So the Dr. went back in to fix this(2 Surgeries). In the beginning swelling was boggy. Now that most of the swelling has went down except for hard swelling knots that are forming in the cheek bone area. Could this be bleeding? How can I tell the difference? IT is still pretty swollen like still can only open mouth maybe a half of inch wide.

Answer
Lacey -  At this point, the only way to fully determine if bleeding continues either to reopen or just do a measurement of the size of the area on a regular schedule.  The last way is not perfect, but it is an indication.  After surgery swelling occurs naturally, but if the swelling is growing quite fast that would more so indicate internal bleeding.  

Hardening of the area is actually a good sign if no continued growth occurs.  That hardness is not usually bleeding but internal swelling.  If you are not sure and become nervous, see the surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired