Oral Surgery/Formed hard knots after BMP procedure

Hi, it is day seven after my son has undergone a surgery to repair his Fistulas from a cleft. He had some bleeding that occurred after surgery that formed a hematoma. So the Dr. went back in to fix this(2 Surgeries). In the beginning swelling was boggy. Now that most of the swelling has went down except for hard swelling knots that are forming in the cheek bone area. Could this be bleeding? How can I tell the difference? IT is still pretty swollen like still can only open mouth maybe a half of inch wide.

Lacey -  At this point, the only way to fully determine if bleeding continues either to reopen or just do a measurement of the size of the area on a regular schedule.  The last way is not perfect, but it is an indication.  After surgery swelling occurs naturally, but if the swelling is growing quite fast that would more so indicate internal bleeding.  

Hardening of the area is actually a good sign if no continued growth occurs.  That hardness is not usually bleeding but internal swelling.  If you are not sure and become nervous, see the surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC