Oral Surgery/tonsil

This started with the feeling of a lump in my throat about 2 months ago. I think I had post nasal drip, but my Dr at the veterans hospital shrugged it off and said my throat looked fine. since then I've had a dull achy tonsil on my left side, the ache sometimes stretches up to my ear. I also have a swollen lymph node under my jaw on the same side and it seems to be slightly bigger than before (currently the size of a dime) Every time I go to the VA hospital they tell me im fine but this doesnt look fine to me. Thank you very much.

Mark - I'm sorry, but the picture you provided does not really look very inflamed or infected.  There might be a very slight swelling, but minimal.  Your symptoms of the post nasal drip, achy tonsil and with a stretch to your ear is not uncommon and can occur from sinus inflammation or a slight blockage or inflammation of the Eustachian tube (a tube from the ear to the nasal pharynx)  This tube is a pressure regulator to the inner ear and the symptoms you state might be a slight inflammation of the sinus with a secondary swelling of the Eustachian tube.

My suggestion is to simply get an over the counter medication that dries up the sinus.  This could be zyrtec, but there are other similar meds.   Try this and see how you do.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC