Oral Surgery/Tooth extraction - 48 hours later, more pain

tooth extraction close up1
tooth extraction close  

tooth extraction close up2
tooth extraction close  

On Sunday the dentist removed my second molar on the upper left side.
I only experienced mild pain Sunday and Monday, and today the pain seems to have got worse. It's not unbearable, let's say it's a throbbing mild pain (3-4 on scale from 1-10). I haven't experienced any other symptoms. I tried to contact my dentist but he's away today and going to an emergency dentist would cost me so much.

I just want to be sure it's not getting infected. I'm attaching a few pictures which will hopefully be helpful.

Thank you very much in advance.

Julie -  Of course, without directly examining you, I cannot be completely sure, but from the pictures you provided, it shows that there is definitely inflammation in the area. I don't know what instructions you were given on how to take care of the socket, but you need to immediately begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses.  Do the rinsing 4-5 times a day (especially after meals) for about 1-2 minutes.  The rinsing will cleanse the area to let it heal better, but the most important thing it will do is to decrease the inflammation.

So start the rinsing schedule I provided and with 3-4 days the whole area should be fine.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC