Oral Surgery/Tooth extraction - 48 hours later, more pain

Question
tooth extraction close up1
tooth extraction close  

tooth extraction close up2
tooth extraction close  
Hello,

On Sunday the dentist removed my second molar on the upper left side.
I only experienced mild pain Sunday and Monday, and today the pain seems to have got worse. It's not unbearable, let's say it's a throbbing mild pain (3-4 on scale from 1-10). I haven't experienced any other symptoms. I tried to contact my dentist but he's away today and going to an emergency dentist would cost me so much.

I just want to be sure it's not getting infected. I'm attaching a few pictures which will hopefully be helpful.

Thank you very much in advance.

Julie

Answer
Julie -  Of course, without directly examining you, I cannot be completely sure, but from the pictures you provided, it shows that there is definitely inflammation in the area. I don't know what instructions you were given on how to take care of the socket, but you need to immediately begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses.  Do the rinsing 4-5 times a day (especially after meals) for about 1-2 minutes.  The rinsing will cleanse the area to let it heal better, but the most important thing it will do is to decrease the inflammation.

So start the rinsing schedule I provided and with 3-4 days the whole area should be fine.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired