Oral Surgery/wisdom teeth

Question
Hello I want to get my wisdom teeth removed, but I would like to know if it's better for me to go into my routine cleaning first and then get my wisdom teeth removed or is it better for me to get my wisdom teeth removed and then go in for my routine cleaning? Thank you.

Answer
Randy - Of course, without examining you, I cannot determine if there is any inflammation associated with the gum tissue around the wisdom teeth, but I usually recommend that the removal of inflammatory debris around teeth, by a good cleaning, will usually decrease any infection or inflammatory conditions developing from the extractions.  So get the cleaning first and then have those wisdom teeth removed.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired