Oral Surgery/wisdom teeth

Hello I want to get my wisdom teeth removed, but I would like to know if it's better for me to go into my routine cleaning first and then get my wisdom teeth removed or is it better for me to get my wisdom teeth removed and then go in for my routine cleaning? Thank you.

Randy - Of course, without examining you, I cannot determine if there is any inflammation associated with the gum tissue around the wisdom teeth, but I usually recommend that the removal of inflammatory debris around teeth, by a good cleaning, will usually decrease any infection or inflammatory conditions developing from the extractions.  So get the cleaning first and then have those wisdom teeth removed.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC