Oral Surgery/Wisdom Teeth Extraction Site

extraction site
extraction site  
I just had my lower wisdom teeth removed 9 days ago, and the gum has a big deep hole. I didnt expect to have an open area there bc I had stitches. Why is the hole so large and why didnt he flap tissue over it, then suture close?
I get lots of food in it everytime I eat, and have to use the syringe to irrigate the area, and it takes alot to remove all particles and I spit out blood too.
Also, the area is still tender, and I dnt see how such a large area can heal esp when food/particles are invading it.
Is this normal or just bad surgical skill?
I cant handle dealing with this open wound for weeks/months... Is that how long it takes for the area to close?
Can I get it stitched closed now??

I just want to have a healthy mouth and gums and this just seems to been a bad idea, and wasnt how I though it'd be.

Please advise...

Cristal - Of course, not being there during the surgery, I cannot be completely sure, but it looks like during the extraction the doctor seems to have taken a piece of the gum and some bone along with the tooth.  This can unintentionally happen, but the doctor should have attempted to properly close the wound and to follow you very closely.  Now the doctor needs to irrigate the socket and place some medication and a piece of gauze to protect the socket.  The doctor should prescribe an antibacterial mouthrinse mouth rinse.  In the interim until you see the dentist again (it is important that he sees you quickly and should not wait - that would be bad treatment)you need to rinse the socket a minimum of 4-5 times a day to clean the area and increase blood flow to promote a quicker healing.

So start the warm salt water rinses and call the dentist's office.  I wish you well and hope you heal soon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC