Oral Surgery/Wisdom tooth or molar

Question
Hello,

I had an x-ray done in 2012 and just after Christmas of 2013 I had pain in my gums above my left back molar. I have noticed my front two teeth have begun to shift into crossing again. The dentist asked why I didn't get my wisdom teeth removed when they did the x-ray and it's because my husband and I didn't and still don't have any insurance. It'll cost approximately $2471.00 for all 4 but I only see the need for the one, though it hasn't hurt since.

However when I saw my dentist to talk about my wisdom teeth they found my left upper back molar has a cavity, I hate that tooth because it is at an angle that food gets stuck in all the time. Then I was told I could get my molar removed and have my wisdom tooth come in instead, by a family member.

What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Nikki

Answer
Nikki - What you describe is not uncommon.  The loss of that tooth may allow the wisdom tooth move forward, but usually by tipping over into the space.  That tipping over can produce gum infection problems due to the tipping over and bacteria being trapped.  It might be the solution for now, but you will need a good dentist to keep an eye on that tipping over tooth.

I hope I have given you some help, but if you have more questions, get back to me and I will try to help and give you a pathway to get better.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired