Oral Surgery/Wisdom tooth or molar

I had an x-ray done in 2012 and just after Christmas of 2013 I had pain in my gums above my left back molar. I have noticed my front two teeth have begun to shift into crossing again. The dentist asked why I didn't get my wisdom teeth removed when they did the x-ray and it's because my husband and I didn't and still don't have any insurance. It'll cost approximately $2471.00 for all 4 but I only see the need for the one, though it hasn't hurt since.

However when I saw my dentist to talk about my wisdom teeth they found my left upper back molar has a cavity, I hate that tooth because it is at an angle that food gets stuck in all the time. Then I was told I could get my molar removed and have my wisdom tooth come in instead, by a family member.

What is your opinion?

Nikki - What you describe is not uncommon.  The loss of that tooth may allow the wisdom tooth move forward, but usually by tipping over into the space.  That tipping over can produce gum infection problems due to the tipping over and bacteria being trapped.  It might be the solution for now, but you will need a good dentist to keep an eye on that tipping over tooth.

I hope I have given you some help, but if you have more questions, get back to me and I will try to help and give you a pathway to get better.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC