Oral Surgery/Bone graft, sinus lift and implant

Question
It's been 3.5 weeks. I had bone graft and sinus lift on tooth14 after discovering bone loss in root cana led tooth 15 years ago. During surgery dentist was going to try to set post-drilled and tore sinus membrane. He packed area with cadaver bone and covered. During same surgery he investigated another lower molar root canal had sensitivity. He did and X-ray and decided the root must have been cracked and we could place an implant here. He drilled and placed a screw. Afterwards an X-Ray showed screw was too long and close to nerv so he removed and placed a smaller screw. After a few days while rinsing, liquid came from nose.  Im still in serious pain every day. The lower implant area and upper 14 socket don't seem to be healing right. Gums are red and fluffy looking and I'm running a low grade fever. Lower jaw is sore from ear to center of front teeth. He told me to scrub the areas harder to make the gums heal. What should I do? 48 year old with no serious issues prior to this. Usually heal well.

Answer
Michele, Thank you for your question. After a procedure like this, you can expect some pain and discomfit for a few days. If you are still feeling pain after 3 and 1/2 weeks, there is definitely something wrong. Brushing the gums harder will not clear an infection. It sounds like you might have an infection. If your current dentist is not able to manage your issues and pain after 3 and 1/2 weeks, I would suggest to see an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon right away. DO NOT place any heat on any of the areas that are sore.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon