Oral Surgery/Extractions w/Anethesia

Question
Hi Doctor,
I am about to have a total of 8 teeth extracted.  The practice I am going to has an oral surgeon who will put me to sleep himself - he does not have an anesthesiologist. Should I be concerned about being put to sleep by the doctor and not an anesthesiologist?
Thank you.

Answer
Bonnie, Thank you for your question. You should not be concerned about this. All formally trained Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons are fully trained in general anesthesia. Anesthesia rotations with anesthesia residents in the hospital setting any where from 4 to 6 months are required. Additionally, if they are Board Certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, they have been successfully tested on all aspects of general anesthesia.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon