Oral Surgery/removal of BCC from face

Hello there

Six weeks ago I had a rodent ulcer removed from my face. The the area was just a little bigger than a pin head but required an incision about 2 1/2 cms long and required eight external stitches and some internal, dissolvable ones. A couple of days ago I went to see my surgeon for a follow up appointment. He said everything was fine and the scar was healing nicely.

However this morning when I awoke the lower part of the scar was very red and inflamed, also a little swollen. I don't think it is infected as the scar itself is not painful to touch but I am concerned why this should suddenly happen. Is it possible that maybe the internal stitch or stitches haven't yet dissolved and my body is rejecting things? I am not sure how long it takes for the stitches to dissolve.

The area itself is where the piece of flesh was removed and maybe where the internal stitches are. It is also deeper here. The rest of the scar has virtually disappeared.

I am quite worried with the wound being on my face that this will affect the final outcome of how the scar will eventually look and It will probably be quite a while before I can get another appointment with my surgeon.

Many thanks for any advice

Bolton - It is very important that you have yourself examined as soon as possible.  Inflammation of the area may not be anything, but a direct exam very soon is important to prevent a problem if there were trapped bacteria in the wound or internal tissues were tied too tightly.  So don't wait this is very important before additional problems develop.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC