Oral Surgery/implant component

Question
Hi Dr. Teig,

I had my #14 extracted. My oral surgeon will do bone graft-sinus lift and implant as the next steps. His office gave me a list of the procedure codes that I will need and the provider charges for each item, so I can estimate my out of pocket costs after insurance payment. Among the list there is an item called ‘component’ of $400 with a dental procedure code 999999 that won't be covered by my insurance. The office staff said that this component needs to be custom ordered and sent to my general dentist once implant is done. I thought my insurance covers 50% of all implant related items, and there should not be anything that is not covered. When I asked for the name of the component, she just said it is called "Component".
Could you please tell me what this component could possibly be? If it is abutment, then my general dentist could order and install it with crown. They have a procedure code of D6057 which my insurance will pay 50% of it. I am almost thinking this oral surgeon is ripping me off. What do you think?
Thank you in advance!

Answer
Wendy - I am not quite sure what the surgeon is billing you for, but the $400 fee is indicative of the abutment, but depending on the type of implant placed, the abutments need to be custom made.

My suggestion, is to have your dentist speak with the surgeon and find out what that fee is.  This is the best solution and will give communication between the two doctors, which is very important for an overall successful result.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired