Oral Surgery/Red tongue tip

Red tongue tip irritation for over a week. Been to dr twice and dentist all think it's just irritation from something perhaps like a tongue thrust. Take a look and tell me what u think. I'm a hypochondriac too so that doesn't help. Do you think it's something serious?

ANSWER: It doesn't look like anything serious. I agree with the dentist.

QUESTION: I went to ent today he said it was geographic tongue. Do u think it's that? It's weird bc when I wake up it's not nearly as noticeable but as day goes on it gets redder. Certain parts of mouth feel like I ate a whole bag of sour patch kids.

ANSWER: No...I do not think it looks like geographic tongue.
Just some inflammation. Look for things that are new....gum, toothpaste, drinks, cinnamon (this causes a lot of problems).

QUESTION: The ent was certain it was geographic tongue. Why does it get worse during day? Do u think it could be tongue cancer?

Steve, does not look like cancer. I am not able to answer the other specific questions without actually looking and examining you. Geographic tongue does not stay in one place. It moves around. Additionally, there is not pain, soreness or changes in feeling with geographic tongue. Highly unlikely it is geographic tongue.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dr. Ryan's expertise is in the field of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Specifically, Dr. Ryan is an expert in Orthognathic Surgery. He holds uniques experience as the former Assistant Program Director of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Training Program at Washington Hospital Center where he trained residents to perform these complicated surgical procedures. Additionally, Dr. Ryan also has a tremendous amount of experience in reconstruction of the maxillofacial skeleton related to trauma and tooth loss. Dr. Ryan is an expert in 3 dimensional treatment planning for Orthognathic Surgery, Dental Implant Surgery and Wisdom Teeth removal. To learn more about Dr. Ryan, his full profile can be seen at

Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with current hospital affiliations at: Washington Hospital Center Holy Cross Germantown Hospital National Institute of Health/NIDCR

American Dental Association. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. District of Columbia Dental Society. American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Health Volunteers Overseas.

Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Journal of The American Dental Association

S.U.N.Y @ Stony Brook- B.S. in Biochemistry, Stony Brook, NY. Northeastern University- M.S. in Perfusion Technology, Boston, MA. D.D.S.- New York University College of Dentistry, New York, NY. Certificate and Chief Resident- Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC. Clinical Fellow- The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD.

Dr. Ryan has received numerous awards including: 2006 American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award, Washington Hospital Center 2008 Nurses' Choice Physician Collaboration Award, 2009 Resident Research Summit Scholarship Award, and the 2011 Outstanding Surgical Attending in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at Washington Hospital Center. He has also authored/coauthored and published several journal articles and held several teaching positions,including assistant professor, while at NYUCD.