Oral Surgery/Tongue

Have redness at tip of tongue. Looks like 3 red lines. Also have bite marks on side of tongue. Had it over 2 weeks. Went to dentists and ent. Ent said it was geographic tongue. Feels irritated and burns at times. Looked like a burn. Both dentists said it was irritation and ent said geographic tongue. What do u think it is? Is it mouth cancer? Hypochondriac so very worried. Although I've been to 5 diff drs already. Thanks.

Steve -  the area of redness seems to me to be a fairly common phenomenon called geographic tongue.  It is a fairly common lesion and fortunately it is not dangerous, cancerous of infectious.  

So relax and listen to all the doctors you have seen.  That area can last for a while or with someone like me, you can have it for years.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC