Oral Surgery/2nd molar pain after wisdom tooth extraction

Question
My 18 year old son had his impacted wisdom teeth extracted 1 week ago today. His gums have healed nicely but he has had pain which he describes as sharp and constant at the lower right second molar adjacent to the one extraction. The pain is completely relieved with ibuprofen. He does not have any cold or hot sensitivity. Several days after the surgery the tooth gave him the sensation that it was "loose" as it hurt with pressure. He thought today that he had temproray relief when he bit down on  the tooth but this was very short lived. In general he feels that the pain is constant. The only abnormality that is visible is a small ulcer on the buccal mucosa adjacent to the tooth where the second molar's "corner" touches the mucosa but this is improving since the swelling of his cheeks is gone and this does not bother him. He has been taking oral penicillin and had used chlorhexidine mouthwash post operatively.  The gums did not swell over the second molar. He does have very little space between the second molar and the angle of jaw. My question is trying to determine if this is simply inflammation of the adjacent tooth/root or was this tooth damaged? My thoughts are that the pain would not be completely relieved by ibuprofen if there was damage or a fracture.

Answer
Kathy_ of course without examining your son or viewing trays I cannot be completely sure, but he may have sustained trauma and injury to the tooth the bone around the tooth or realignment that holds the tooth to the bone.  The doctor needs to examine the area, but a second opinion from a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon is important if the original doctor does not have an answer.  I hope it gets better on its own, but if not have him examined.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired