Oral Surgery/ameloblastoma

Question
I am looking for a good surgeon to do this sx I was referred to the Univ. of MD since I am located in Delaware is there anybody that you would recommend for this procedure they are talking about a jaw resection. Do you know if the face is deformed from this I have been told that my lip will be numb and how about talking and eating after sx.

Answer
Felicia - I am sorry to hear about the ameloblastoma.  A resection is probably correct, a surgeon might temporarily stabilize the sectioned bones to retain facial shape, but repair needs to wait until the doctors are sure.  I am personally not familiar of the U of Maryland surgeons, but it is supposed to be a good residency program.

Getting a second opinion and evaluation is important.  I am going to recommend that you get a second opinion from the University of Pennsylvania oral and maxillofacial surgery residency chairman, Dr Lawrence Levin.  Call (215) 662_6176.  I wish you well and hope everything turns out well for you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired