You are here:

Oral Surgery/ameloblastoma


I am looking for a good surgeon to do this sx I was referred to the Univ. of MD since I am located in Delaware is there anybody that you would recommend for this procedure they are talking about a jaw resection. Do you know if the face is deformed from this I have been told that my lip will be numb and how about talking and eating after sx.

Felicia - I am sorry to hear about the ameloblastoma.  A resection is probably correct, a surgeon might temporarily stabilize the sectioned bones to retain facial shape, but repair needs to wait until the doctors are sure.  I am personally not familiar of the U of Maryland surgeons, but it is supposed to be a good residency program.

Getting a second opinion and evaluation is important.  I am going to recommend that you get a second opinion from the University of Pennsylvania oral and maxillofacial surgery residency chairman, Dr Lawrence Levin.  Call (215) 662_6176.  I wish you well and hope everything turns out well for you.

Oral Surgery

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC

©2017 All rights reserved.