Oral Surgery/Benign Cyst

An oral surgeon is going to excise a benign cyst tumor in my jaw.  His assistant claims it won't be very painful afterward, but it sounds painful.  What is the recovery time?  Thank you.

Karen the recovery time is based on the size of the cyst, its position in the bone, the type of tumor and the difficulty of the surgery.  If the cyst is simple to get to and peels easily off of the bone, there should be minimal pain.  If, however, the surgeon needs to cut some bone to get to the cyst, there might be a little more pain.

As long as you are having this done by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, this cyst removal should heal well, with only a little discomfort for a few days.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC