Oral Surgery/Bottom wisdom teeth and 12 y/o molar extraction

I am 15 years old and have been in braces for 7 years and am really tired of my teeth. My bottom wisdom teeth were extracted on an emergency procedure a year ago and my 12 yo molars were uncovered and braces put on them. They were completely horizontal and my orthodontist had never seen teeth like them. After three years he finally got them upright but they are still not fully out. I have never had a cavity in any of my teeth since I really care about keeping my teeth clean but just yesterday I found out I have two cavities, one in each of those teeth. The dentist says they are not upright enough to drill them. I am extremely frustrated and really hate my teeth right now after everything I have been through with those two teeth. So I came up with the idea of having those two bottom 12 yo molars extracted even though my bottom wisdom teeth already have been extracted. My orthodontist doesn't think it is a good idea, but my jaw is already small and there really isn't room for those teeth and they provide no use to me whatsoever except they are always going to get cavities. So if you could give me your opinion on whether or not I could extract the 12 y/o molars, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you

ANSWER: Cassandra - I fully understand your frustrations after having had your teeth bound up in braces.  You said that then bottom wisdom teeth were extracted, but what is the situation with the bottom second molars.  Are they in your mouth, not visible in your mouth or did not develop.  If you could give me an answer to the situation with the second molars, I might better be able to give you some answers.

QUESTION: Thank you for your response. But my 12 y/o molars are in my mouth and they are upright, they are just not fully out of the gum. So you can see them fully, but they are still crooked and are needing a lot of work still.

Cassandra - I, of course, cannot be sure, but if the 1st lower molars cannot be properly uprighted and aligned correctly they might be very vulnerable to being lost prematurely for periodontal reasons from a loss of bone supporting the teeth.  So you need a good doctor to evaluate properly the chances of placing the 1st molars correctly.  If they cannot, extracting them and placing a dental implant on each side might be the best long term solution.  Of course, at age 15 implants are not appropriate until after puberty when the bone becomes more dense, but a temporary appliance can be made to fill the space and allow the 2nd molar sit properly.

So if the orthodontist cannot come up with a proper solution, seek an evaluation from a different orthodontist and/or an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC