Oral Surgery/Chronic osteomyoplitis of the jaw

Question
My dad is 80. He had cadaver bone implanted last august it became infected, right away , but was not removed until Oct. his face began swelling and he was hospitalizedFor a day 12/24/13 on IV antibiotics then released and put on clyndamycin he had pustules develop in his mouth, then on his chin he has seen an oral surgeon endodintis infectious disease dr. The lst time he saw infectios disease they gave him a cat scan. Which says his infection is now chronic osteomylitis. How does he find someone who knows how to treat this in his area? He is in Alexandria, va, just outside of DC. This infection has noticeably sickened and weakened him. After all this time on clyndamycin he still has weeping pustules on his chin and swelling the size of the grapefruit under his chin. Everyone seems pretty blase about this, and it think it needs to be taken more seriously.

How do we find the right doc? And am I over reacting?

Answer
Blair - I am not an expert nor am I familiar with doctors in Massachusetts, but with a problem, such as your father has developed, one of the main causes of a perpetuation of this problem is a lack of oxygen to the tissues, preventing them from healing.  For this reason alone, in patients with osteomyelitis, especially of an apparent significant case as your fathers, I recommend hyperbaric oxygen treatments.  This oxygen is not breathed in but the patient is placed into a chamber containing high pressure 100% oxygen, forcing it into his tissues.  I have seen protracted and prolonged osteomyelitis of the jaw reversed with hyperbaric oxygen.  He should be seen by an infectious disease doctor, who hopefully has experience.  

Many major medical centers have hyperbaric oxygen chambers.  There are a number of hyperbaric chambers in Massachusetts.  Definitely the Boston area, but other major medical centers will also have it.  So if his doctor knows little of it, have him examined at a major medical center in Massachusetts.  I wish I could send him to a specific doctor, but have him examined at a major medical center.  I wish him well and hope there is a knowledgeable doctor there to see him.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired