Oral Surgery/dentist

Question
Upper left side of my mouth has been hurting really bad. It's extremely inflamed puffy and bleeding. I went to the dentist today to get scalding and route planning because it's been hurting me so bad that I have been unable to eat anything but really soft foods that I only chew on the right set my mouth. When I went in there I thought he would give me antibiotics to take, but he didn't and went to start the procedure. I told him I was not comfortable starting the procedure until I had the antibiotics since I strongly believe I had an infection. He refused to give it to me and I jumped out of my chair and said I'm just not comfortable unless I have antibiotics first. He then ran out of the room mad but came back with the prescription. Today is Thursday morning he said he cannot get in now until Monday morning. The amoxicillin he prescribed is 500 mg the directions on their say to take two capsules immediately and then take one capsule every six hours until finished. There are total of 30 pills. I think from what I'm reading above that this may be too much amoxicillin now. I was wondering what your opinion on this? Is this too much medicine? Also since today is only Thursday and my appointments not till Monday now, should I wait until Sunday to start this medicine? Thank you so much for your help.}

Answer
Cindy -  the doctor is correct.  If you have an existing infection, starting with a double dose to attack the infection is correct.  Subsequently, medication should be taken for a minimum of 7-10 days to arrest any bacteria trapped in tissues and bone is important.  So it sounds like the dentist was correct in prescribing 30 pills.  So follow his prescription and if there is an underlying infection, it will be arrested.  If you feel that you have an infection already, you stated that earlier, start the infection now and it will make the extraction much less likely of inflaming an existing infection.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired