Oral Surgery/Extractions after TMJ surgery

Question
I had a meniscectomy 13 years ago on my left TMJ. I have had no problems with it so far and am still pain free. I have a tooth (36) that is crowned but now has decay under the crown and it needs to be extracted. I have one dentist who is happy to do it and one that will not touch me because of my TMJ and has referred me to an oral surgeon. Do you think a GP dentist should remove it or an oral surgeon.

Answer
Hello Madison,

Anybody skilled enough really can do it as long as there is NO trauma to the TMJ like staying mouth open for a long time. If your dentist feels comfortable about it and can guarantee that it will take him minutes to do it, it's OK!
Another issue is to also have it replaced by an implant ASAP to avoid more load to the TMJ in the future.

Best Regards

Dr.MANNAI

Oral Surgery

Chawket MANNAI, DDS,Ph.D Diplomate ABOMS