Oral Surgery/Lumps in tongue

I'm 18 years old, female, a non-smoker and only drink very occasionally.
A month ago, after a bad dose of ulcer on my tongue, I was checking my tongue when I felt a small,hard, pea-sized lump in my tongue, about 3-4 cm away from the tip to the right of the tongue. The lump can only be felt if I pinch my tongue.
I went to the doctor last week and was prescribed flagyl 400mg for one week but the course of antibiotics is up and there is no improvement. I now have another lump, the exact same as the first on the left.
I'm in general good health and have no medical conditions but I am really concerned that this might be cancer and so any advice would be hugely appreciated.. The worry this is causing me is immense.
Thank you

Leanne -  I wish I could be more specific and helpful as to the cause.  You need to see a doctor who is more versed in this type of problem.  You need to be examined by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor or a head and neck surgeon.  It does not sound like cancer, so relax, but there are a number of different possible causes.  Simply, there are glands in the tongue and one could be blocked causing the internal lump, but that can only be fully evaluated by one of the above doctors.

I wish you well and hope you can find an appropriate doctor.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC