Oral Surgery/Post wisdom teeth extraction pains

Question
I'm 31, and just had all 4 wisdom teeth removed on Thursday. I'm still experiencing a good deal of pain; and I believe I've isolated it to bruising around the bottom 2 wisdoms. Because the bottom teeth were hooked, I assume a good deal of digging took place, and scraping was done. I also have a good deal of pain when attempting to widen my mouth. Everywhere I look on the internet, "dry socket" is the only thing mentioned. I'm pretty certain that the socket isn't giving me pain, and it's the bruising. I'm taking ibuprofen and hydrocodon, but I'm really not a "drug" person; though it's tough to get by without them. My question is: is there anything I can do in the recovery process? And how long can I expect to be in this much pain? It has been 5 days.

Answer
Hello Tim,

Unfortunately wisdom teeth can sometimes hurt a LOT without necessarily having a dry socket specially in your case where it was a difficult extraction. Pain should be decreased by now but can remain up to a couple of weeks off and on. There is not much you can do at this point but your Oral surgeon could prescribe a different pain med if needed.

Best Regards

Dr.MANNAI

Oral Surgery

Chawket MANNAI, DDS,Ph.D Diplomate ABOMS