Oral Surgery/Rhinoplasty and corrective jaw surgery

Hello dr, i want please your advise because i'm totally confused.TWo months ago a doctor advise me to have a jaw surgery before the nose operation,but i didn't wait to make this operation.I go for another surgeon and he said that maybe i will not need a jaw surgery and it could be corrected by putting braces,so i had done a rhinoplasty . I want to know if my nose will change if i put the braces to correct my bite and i want to know if my jaw can be corrected with braces  thank you so much

Amina - Facial appearance can change with bite changes.  If, however, the relationship of your teeth and jaws in the bite is due to bone position orthodontics will not correct the problem.  Orthodontics or jaw surgery can apply forces to the outside of each nostril causing a widening of the nose during the orthodontics or jaw surgery.  For that reason, the doctor should have sat and spoke with the orthodontist and the doctor who does jaw surgery before he did the nose surgery.  Now it is important that a proper evaluation for the proper treatment to help the bite and not change the nose.  Of course, it will not be as much movement, but it could still be fairly good.  So you will need a good and skilled surgeon and/or orthodontics.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC