Oral Surgery/Screw in Jaw

Question
I had corrective jaw surgery 11 years ago.  I had an under-bite, so the surgeon broke my jaw, moved it forward, and put in screws to hold in place.
For the past year now, I have had pain in my right ear, as well as pain on the right side of my throat.  I also know that the screw on the right side has pierced through to my inner gums near my back tooth.  It is painful to touch, but more painful with my ear and throat.  How serious is this problem?
What advise do you have for me?  I have not seen this surgeon in years and have moved 4 hours away from that area I had the surgery.
Thank you

Answer
Carrie - There are a number of possible causes for the pains you are now experiencing.  Ideally seeing the surgeon is probably best, but there are probably other surgeons near you that should be able to define the causes of the problem.  

If you are unaware of board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon near you, get back to me and tell me where you live specifically.  I will send you names of appropriate doctors to evaluate you now  

With the pain you are enduring, I'd like you to be examined soon before other processes possibly develop.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired