Oral Surgery/Bi-Maxillary advancment

Question
Hi Dr. Teig, I'm  finally getting my Bi-maxillary surgery, on April 25. I'll have 4 millimeters of advancement on both of my jaws with bone graft on my paranasal area. My Dr. is going to use bone from my upper jaw. I'm doing this surgery because I have a gaunt retracted profile since I did teeth extraction and braces. I'm 38 years old. I would like to know what are your recommendations. Is it 4 millimeters of advancement worth it? Please help! I'm so scared to do the surgery.
any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Answer
Melanie - it is not only the 4mm movement that produces the effects, the overlying soft tissues, like muscles and the skin will have a dramatic effect with the seemingly minimal bone movement.  Think of a door opening on a hinge.  A minimal movement of the door near the hinge has a dramatic movement of the door away from the hinge.  So it is not the 4 mm.  The doctor should be able to provide you with a model of what the bone changes will produce on the rest of your face.  That is important to make you more comfortable.  So ask the surgeon for a demonstration of how your face will change with the bone movements.

I wish you well and hope it all comes out well.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired