Oral Surgery/Bone growth sticking out of gums after extraction, dissappeared recently. Should I be worried?

I recently got teeth #1,32,16 and 17 extracted, at first it was fine, no dry sockets or excessive bleeding or anything like that. It seemed like it was going to heal normally and be okay but then I felt this poking sensation in the gums of where #17 was. I had been told that this happens sometimes and that it'd go away eventually but it didn't, after about 3 weeks it got to the point where what I am pretty sure was bone came out through my gums and I scheduled another appointment with the oral surgeon who did my extraction to see what he thought of it.

The thing is though I could only get an appointment that was a week away and just today the bony growth I mentioned disappeared. I am not sure if it broke off completely or simply got pushed back into my gums by my tongue somehow. I can still sorta feel a bit of a bump where it used to be but nothings sticking out of my gums anymore, it's a little sore but nothing unbearable. Should I still be worried about this and get my surgeon to check it out? or can I let it go as just a temporary side effect of the surgery that just suddenly resolved itself?

Johnny - The surgeon should have immediately got you into the office to examine this area.  It most likely was a piece of bone that the doctor broke off while extracting the tooth.  This does not happen often, unless the doctor was careless and did not fully check the extraction area.  

For now, immediately begin a strict regimen of warm salt water rinses for about 1 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  This will immediately reduce any inflammation and promote a quicker healing.  It should be fine, but if it again gets inflamed, have the doctor examine you.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC