Oral Surgery/elective mandibular tori surgery

tori photo 1
tori photo 1  

tori photo 2
tori photo 2  
Is it risky it to have one mandibular tori removed if it is not currently ulcerated and I don't need dentures?  I am 41, have all teeth including wisdom teeth, have had braces, and several fillings, mandibular tori (not small, but not huge, still two teeth apart).  If I were eventually going to have it removed I would get Laser surgery (less trauma on gums), IV sedation, and local anesthesia.  My dentist told me three weeks ago after I cut/injured the tori that surgery is not performed unless you need dentures.  I'm afraid of the tori damaging tissue under my tongue (sublingual protuberance) from constantly rubbing on it, but my dentist didn't seem concerned yet.  He did notice that is cone-shaped and said wait 5-10 years before considering surgery to see how it grows.  He made me an occlusion guard for my horrible bruxism and showed me TMJ exercises/stretches.  I can't afford the "neuromuscular dental appliance" that is supposed to correct my bite, so I'm afraid this tori is going to keep growing. My husband said my dentist is considering "risk and reward."  My mom still has tori and said not to get surgery because it would be "incredibly painful."  How common are post surgery complications: pain, infection, etc.?  (I read about the gums not healing and bone exposure. Also, about one lady having such incredible pain that she passed out 8 hours after anesthesia worth off.)

Maria - First of all, if the removal of the tori is done by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon it should go fine without complications.  Yes there will be some soreness, but if done properly, it should heal fine with soreness for a week or so.  The pain should not be devastating.  

If you have just recently slightly traumatized the tori and have not been doing it repeatedly, especially if you will not have the area traumatized by a denture or partial denture, leave it alone for now.  

As far as the neuromuscular appliance, I'm not sure what you mean it will correct you bite.  That is not its function and has no effect on the tori at all.

So I think not having it removed, unless you are getting repeated episodes of trauma to the area, is correct.  So it is not only because of dentures that the tori are removed, but if chronic inflammation, irritation or trauma is not happening, leave it alone.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC