Oral Surgery/implant

I had an extraction and an implant procedure the day before Thanksgiving without any complications.  I was seen 1 week ago where they removed the cap to make the impression.  Since that time, I have noticed that the post (with the cap replaced) seems to be very sensitive to heat, extremely painful for a few seconds when I am eating or drinking something hot.  Is this normal?  I did not experience this prior to last weeks procedure.  There is no swelling and no sensitivity to cold. Thank you

Kay -  The discomfort you are feeling with heat is not normal.  Sure there can be some sensations felt, but if the implant has healed properly and the surgeon exposed it properly one week ago there should be no sensation to hot or cold.  You need to speak with the doctor and let him know.  The question I have is the teeth surrounding the implant - are they the problem?  You need to have the doctor evaluate you properly.  This is not normal and the reason is important.  Heat is usually a more sensitive stimulous if there is inflammation or infection in the region.  So this needs to be properly evaluated.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC