Oral Surgery/tori removal

Hi again~
There is a new procedure - piezo surgery - do you know about it?  I saw a general dentist who has 6 years experience (it has been in this country for about that time and is FDA approved) using this instrument and laser for the soft tissue.  I believe he has the most experience using this instrument but he is not an oral surgeon and  would not use general anesthesia... and would do the procedure in his office.  My tori are HUGE and I know that I would need general anesthesia...any ideas?  He also said that the salivary glands are invaluable...  Also, do you know if there are any insurance companies that cover the removal of tori?  THANKS!!!

Kim - I have been questioned about Piezo Surgery for a few years.  Yes it is a less traumatic surgery for the soft tissue, but the skill of any doctor using this technique necessitates that he is trained in surgery.  I have been asked to review quite a few cases where dentists who are not surgeons used Piezo.  Yes Piezo can definitely reduce trauma if done correctly, but if not done correctly, trauma to tissues occur.  

I have never used this technique, but since the excision of a torus is a straight forward and simple procedure a skilled surgeon can remove the torus without any side effects other than soreness.  Trauma or injury to salivary glands is almost impossible, it does not matter what surgeon removes tori.  

Tori are pathological bone protuberances and the removal of them is usually covered by insurance companies.

I wish you well and hope whichever doctor you chose, make sure the doctor is a skilled surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC