Oral Surgery/tori removal

Question
Hi again~
There is a new procedure - piezo surgery - do you know about it?  I saw a general dentist who has 6 years experience (it has been in this country for about that time and is FDA approved) using this instrument and laser for the soft tissue.  I believe he has the most experience using this instrument but he is not an oral surgeon and  would not use general anesthesia... and would do the procedure in his office.  My tori are HUGE and I know that I would need general anesthesia...any ideas?  He also said that the salivary glands are invaluable...  Also, do you know if there are any insurance companies that cover the removal of tori?  THANKS!!!

Answer
Kim - I have been questioned about Piezo Surgery for a few years.  Yes it is a less traumatic surgery for the soft tissue, but the skill of any doctor using this technique necessitates that he is trained in surgery.  I have been asked to review quite a few cases where dentists who are not surgeons used Piezo.  Yes Piezo can definitely reduce trauma if done correctly, but if not done correctly, trauma to tissues occur.  

I have never used this technique, but since the excision of a torus is a straight forward and simple procedure a skilled surgeon can remove the torus without any side effects other than soreness.  Trauma or injury to salivary glands is almost impossible, it does not matter what surgeon removes tori.  

Tori are pathological bone protuberances and the removal of them is usually covered by insurance companies.

I wish you well and hope whichever doctor you chose, make sure the doctor is a skilled surgeon.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired