Oral Surgery/Wisdom teeth extraction recovery

Question
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed via general anesthetic 6 days ago. Since the surgery I've had minimal pain and swelling except for on my lower right side. Now that it has healed a bit, I was able to look inside and it appears the stitch is connecting my gum and part of my cheek. Is this normal and could this be why I have experienced far more pain in this area? There appears to be a lot of conflicting information about this on the internet so I would appreciate an experts opinion.

Thanks

Answer
Jodi -  Depending on the position of the wisdom tooth, sometimes the tooth lays more towards the cheek.  If that was the situation, closing of the wound will actually pull some of the cheek tissue over the socket to close the wound.  So what was done was not ideal, but during the healing phase the tissue will grow to close that space and the cheek should sink back into a more normal anatomic appearance.

I hope this explains to you what most likely occurred.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired