Oral Surgery/Dentures

Question
I recently had 9 teeth pulled on top and bone shaving on bottom. I am in a lot of pain still especially when I wear my immediate dentures. It feels better with them off. Should I be concerned by not wearing them? Will they have to do another set of dentures for me?

Answer
Amy, Thank you for your question. You will feel better when the dentures are not in. The issue with not wearing them immediately after the extractions is that the tissue will swell and the dentures will not fit well until the swelling goes away. If the swelling has already gone down, the dentures will need to be religned to fit after all the tissue and bone has remodeled (changed). I would not be concerned about not wearing them after the first few days after the extractions. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon