Oral Surgery/Lingual nerve damage

Question
Dear Dr. Teig,

8 days ago I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed. Several hrs after surgery, all numbness wore off except in the tip and left side of my tongue and along the left inner gum line next to my tongue. I get painful spasms on that side of the tongue. There is no palpatory feeling nor any taste. I do have occasional tingly type spasms. The wisdom tooth on that side was a partial bony horizontal impaction.  I know the lingual nerve suffered some type of trauma from the extraction or needle injection but based on my symptoms I would like to know what course of treatment you would recommend, what meds I can try and finally what nerve specialist you would refer me to near Hartford, CT?

Thank you

Answer
Jon - It is a little early after the extraction to do any active treatment.  The tingly spasms are actually a good sign that the nerve is not completely cut.  The nerve is either truamatized, irritated or inflamed.  These can all produce the altered sensations.  The fact that you have some sensations usually says that healing should occur, but it could take a few weeks.  It is important that you get yourself properly examined by a board certified oral and maxillfacial.  That doctor can determine the extent of injury, follow the healing progress and decide if any additional treatment is necessary.

So seek a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to examine you.  If for some reason you are unable to find one, get back to me and I will help you find a surgeon near you.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired