Oral Surgery/birth control pills

Question
I have on read several places that being on birth control pills almost doubles the risks for dry sockets. I am getting 2 wisdom teeth removed in 2 days, should I stop taking the pill tonight?

Answer
Mindy, Thank you for your question. This is a very good question. The current thought is that estrogen plays some role in the risk of enveloping a dry socket. I do not think that stopping birth control will decrease your risk however. The most important things that you can do to prevent a dry socket is 1) limit your diet to clear liquids for about 24 hours and then a full liquid diet for another 24 hours and then advance to soft bland foods like oatmeal, mashed potatoes for a few days. Bacteria and food in the socket seem to be the most common reason for developing a dry socket. Make sure to put ice on your face after the surgery as directed by your oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Remember that if you take antibiotics, your birth control will remain not be effective for at least two cycles. It is important to use alternative forms of birth control during this period. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon