Oral Surgery/Exposed bone after extraction

I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed about 4 weeks ago.  All went well, however, I have a sharp bone protruding through my gum and I did go back to the oral surgeon to have it looked at.  He told me he would need to cut the gum and grind down the bone which would take about a week to heal.  The problem is, I'm going away on the 14th of June for a week and I don't want to be in any discomfort or not be able to eat on my trip.  Is there some type of mouth wax or other home remedy I can use to put on this sharp bone to keep my tongue from getting irritated?  My tongue is getting very raw from it.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason - I wish I could tell you of a simple solution.  For orthodontics, when the appliances and wires cut into the lips and tongue, they use a wax.  That wax is often sold in large pharmacies, like Walgreens and CVS, an try it and see if it helps.  If not, get the bone removed soon.  It is a quick heal and with minimal pain.  So it is up to you, but if you are asking for my opinion, get it removed.

Have a good trip and feel better.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC