Oral Surgery/Hard pellet bump, lower right lingual mandible

Good Evening,

The last 3 days, I have felt with my tongue, a hard pellet sized lump on the inner right mandible, about an inch below my first molar on the lower right side. Its hard, round and not moveable. I felt on the left side in the same area that feels almost alikem but not as profound as the right side.I felt both areas with my finger and I can tell there is a small round bump, as hard as a pellet on that right side. Its not visible as you would see with Tori, but you can easily feel it. Ironically, I just had my dental examination with a PANO and Bitewings, along with a Cleaning and the provider said there was no cavities or issues. Basically I was wondering if this is something to be concerned about or could this just be normal? No Fever, swollen lymph nodes ect. I do get apthous Ulcers due to using SLS toothpaste every now and then, but other than that, no issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scottie - Of course, I cannot be oompletely sure without examining you, but what you describe could be tori, but it could also be bony anatomical sites of attachment of muscles and/or ligaments.  At those sites, the bone will slightly extend out for the attachment.  Is that what you are describing?  I really cannot be sure without an examination.  If you have no symptoms you probably do not need to worry, but if you have to be sure, make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate the areas.  

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC