Oral Surgery/Dental grafting

Question
Dear Dr. Teig, I just had two extractions (19&30). I was very worried about any lingering infection, so I just had the teeth extracted. I know, I was told that immediate grating was best if you plan to have implants. But I was just so concerned about the  possibility of infection remaining. Anyway, I want to have grafting done in a couple of weeks or so. Will there be any major problem? I'm not concerned with the extra time or expense. If the oral surgeon is upset and reluctant to do the grafting then, I'll spend my money elsewhere. I see him in a few days for a check up. I'll remind him then. Perhaps I'll let the prosthodontist do it if I have too. My question is only this, will there be any problem having grafting performed, say, a month from the time the teeth were actually extracted?? Could you please take a few moments and comment? Thank you so very much, Dr. Teig.  Mark S.

Answer
Mark -  First of all, not every tooth that needs extraction and a subsequent implant placed, needs a graft.  If the surgery did not damage the surrounding bone and there was no present infection, a graft might not be necessary, unless bone was damaged by previous periodontal disease.

So go to the surgeon and have yourself evaluated.  A graft might still be appropriate, but that can always be placed if there is deficient bone.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired