Oral Surgery/Jaw Surgery At 38 Year Old

Question
Hi Dr.Teig,

Is double Jaw surgery worth it in a 38 year old?
I really want my face to look normal, but I am so scared to do the surgery because I have 3 kids. What are the major complications about Jaw surgery? Will that change my life for the worst? Please help,
I really don't know What to do.
If you were me would you do the surgery?
If Jaw surgery cause more long term issues I prefer stay the way I am.
Thank you in advance Dr Teig

Answer
Melania - doing double jaw surgery is a procedure, if appropriate to correct certain skeletal situations and if done by a skilled and experienced board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, and is planned correctly, can produce a significant change.  That change should be a change that you would want.  The surgeon should review the desired outcome before any surgery is performed.  

So if you are aware and want the results discussed with you by the surgeon during the planning stage and the surgeon is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, then the surgery is appropriate.  It is important that you are fully aware of all potential complications that could arise during the surgery (This is a common situation in every surgery.  The patient must be aware and an informed consent is reviewed with you before the surgery.).

I I wanted or needed changes in my jaw, then this surgery would be accepted by me, as long as I was confident in the surgeon.

It might change your life.  For most of my former patients, the final results did not change their life, other than to correct their bite to feel better and they were happy with their facial appearance after the surgery.  

I am not sure what specific surgeries you are having, but complications are possible with all types of surgeries.  With two jaw surgeries, there can potentially be numbness of the lower lips, chin and tongue.  Your bite afterwards might make it more difficult to chew.  Blood loss is possible and the surgeon should be ready for that.  Finally, the healing of the bone may take time and it is important that you do not stress the jaw by heavy chewing until full healing has occurred.

I hope that helps.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired