Oral Surgery/treatment for root canal cavities on tooth extractions

Question
My son is about to have his 8 upper teeth extracted for a denture...the recent root canal ' holes' they
want to put in bone & collagen....he has chronic lyme & bartonella  and the bugs love collagen.  What alternative is there to using this?   How do we find a biological dentist who knows how to clean these openings properly /and not use collagen?   Is there a DDS near Clearwater Florida that uses Ozone treatment in those canals ?   What alternative is there for him?   Is Collagen dangerous?  Should he have an oral surgeon remove his teeth? and what are the advantages of doing so?

Answer
Elizabeth - bone graft placement is not always necessary after extractions.  If there is not excessive bone loss from chronic infections or periodontal disease, the implants can be placed when the doctor is sure that all signs of inflammation are not present.  That might be immediately if the bone is clean after the extractions.  

Just so you know, artificial material graft, which often does contain collagen can be replaced with a bone graft.  That material can come from your son himself or it can be from cadaver or freeze dried bone and then no concern for the collagen.  

He should definitely have a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon evaluate, graft if necessary and place the implants.  The oral and maxillofacial surgeon is trained to apply the appropriate grafting material for your son.  There are at least a couple of board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons.  In their degree, they would have ABOMS.  

I wish him well and hope the implants go well.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

e

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired