Oral Surgery/Floor of Mouth

Question
QUESTION: Hello.  I have been experiencing pain in the right portion of the floor of my mouth.  Nothing abnormal showed up on either an face/neck MRI or panoramic xray that was taken & neither; however, when I run my finger along both sides of the floor of my mouth, it feels "raised" (almost lumpy) all the way around.  Is this how the floor of the mouth should feel or should it be "flat" and smooth?  I just want to make sure that something abnormal is not being overlooked.  

Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Carey, This sounds like you might have an infection or a stone in the submandibular gland. Both sides of the floor of your mouth should feel the same. I would suggest seeing a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to check it out. I hope that helps.

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response. The MRI report stated that the salivary glands and sublingual space were unremarkable.  Would stones not be picked up by the MRI?

Answer
Carey,

The MRI may or may not pick up stones. Depends on the stage of the stone development. Again, it is a possibility not necessarily what you have. It also could be a slight infection in Wharton's duct that is causing the inflammation. Hydration, antibiotics and warm compresses may help of it were an infection.  

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon