Oral Surgery/Mesiodens surgery

My almost 6yo daughter just had surgery to remove a mesiodens but the surgeon said when he got in there he couldn't see the mesiodens or the two front adult teeth which he uses as a reference to find the mesiodens.  He said he thinks they may be too far in the bone.  They took xrays and a CT scan before the surgery.  Shouldn't he have known from the xrays and CT scan that they were too far up the bone to extract?

Julie- if the doctor was a skilled board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon he should have known the position of the residents.  If he wasn't completely sure he should have known not to proceed with the surgery.  So again, if he wasn't sure, he should not have attempted the surgery.

Now is the time to determine if the doctors skills were limited.  It might be appropriate to get a second opinion.  I know it seems like extra work, but request the xrays and seek a second opinion.  If you have any more questions, feel free to contact me again.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC