Oral Surgery/in the middle of tooth implant

Question
I have been an expert (Ph.D. in my field) on this site for almost 7 years.  I have a serious question.

My "eye tooth" suffered a fractured root last March (it was crowned) and had to be removed.  I believe this would be #4.  I have had the extraction and then a bone graft.  Terrible experience, two weeks of eating soft foods.  In the process of the bone graft, the tooth next to it (#5), which is crowned without root canal, suffered tissue loss and the root is exposed.  The tooth is now sensitive to cold (my dentist bonded it, did not help).  I am having a root canal done on this tooth on this coming Thursday.  I am spending the month of SEptember in Europe and don't want any surprises.

My question is this:  both #5 and #6 are old crowns; #6 has a root canal. The tooth adjacent (in front) also has a crown and post.  Is it worth going forward with this implant (financially and physically) given the fact that it may be necessary for me to re-crown one or more adjacent teeth for a "bridge"?  I have already spent over $4,000 in dental procedures in the past few months.  I don't want to waste $3000 or $4000 on further implant procedures only to discover that the adjoining teeth are failing and a re-crowning and bridge is required.

I appreciate your professional opinion.

Answer
Jill -I fully understand your questions and apprehensions about what has occurred and what the future might be.  Jumping into the potential episodes of your treatment, depending on what transpires after the treatments that already have been performed, is a scary picture.   I am not sure the type of dentist who is doing all the work on you and who also did the extraction and bone graft.  I ask that, because many general dentists are now jumping ahead of their training and abilities doing extractions, bone grafts, dental implants and root canal treatments without concentrating on changing one of the most important problems in the mouth that produce dental problems;  the oral bacterial floral needs to be controlled to create a healthier oral environment.

I fully understand your apprehensions.  It is a little difficult for me to tell you what should be done without viewing films of your xrays.  You are correct not to financially jump ahead until you know what will be done is appropriate and done correctly.  Getting a second opinion might be a good idea.  In New York there are many skilled dentists and specialists who could examine you.  

So you might be best off to get a second opinion before you jump in further.  I wish you well and hope you will be satisfied in the end.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired