Oral Surgery/Post Extraction Questions...

Question
Hello,
I got my lower right molar surgically extracted yesterday (8/19/14) and I have a few questions... I am assuming he used "Gel foam" because its some type of white foam he stitched into the socket after the initial batch of stitching, I am just wondering why he did that? Does that help at all with the prevention of dry socket ? (I am so scared to get it !) Another one is I cant see the clot I can only see the white foam... Does that mean I don't have a clot or that I just cant see it.. I know after having that type of trauma my mouth/gums and face will be sore however I am worried that something may go wrong. I rinsed (gently) with luke warm salt water and it wasn't painful but it wasn't pleasant either, Should I worry ??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thank you for your time
Amber

Answer
Dear Amber,

Most likely you will be fine and do well.  The foam was placed probably because you were bleeding too much during extraction. But this has to be confirmed with your surgeon. It is fine to rinse gently with salt water. I would avoid mouth wash and smoking. If the foam is there, it does not mean that you will get dry socket.

Be well and good luck!

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery