Oral Surgery/SCAR TISSUE AFTER REVERSE GENIOPLASTY

Question
Hello Dr. Jamali,

I had a reversal of a sliding genioplasty three months ago that was originally done eight years ago.  I did not like the position of the chin, because it was moved forward and up.  After having the chin put back to where it originally was, I have noticed that there is a lot of tension on the labiomental fold area as well as the mentalis muscle.  I realized prior to doing the reversal that there would be trade offs, but I did not realize that things would be so tight in there.  I probably should have moved it back 5mm and not the full 1cm so that there would have been less of an effect on the soft tissue in that area.  Is it possible to move the chin forward again, but this time perhaps 5mm so that I can get relief with the soft tissue issue?  It is rather firm in the fold and there is scar tissue where the mucosa was closed.  Thank you.  Doug

Answer
Hi Doug,

Sorry for your experience. I think at this point, it is best to bring the chin forward as you said about 5 mm. The surgeon can hopefully open up the scar tissue and reposition the muscle maybe to relieve the pressure. Of course it is best to evaluate you clinically to see where exactly the scar is.  

Oral Surgery

Majid Jamali, D.M.D. Fellowship trained in corrective jaw surgery