Oral Surgery/Jawbone spurs?

I am 39 years old and I had my left upper and lower wisdom teeth extracted 15 days ago. I experienced dry socket even though I followed all post op instructions. Just as the dry socket was clearing up I started to experience tongue pain next to where the lower wisdom tooth had been. It got worse until it felt like a piece of glass was in between my gum and tongue. I felt the side of the gum and felt bone sticking out the side of my gum next to the jawbone. The bone has numerous "spiky" points and was very painful. I went track to my oral surgeon and he was able to clip off the biggest outcropping. It gave me some relief,, but there are two smaller outcroppings. He said the bone cme out because the gum tissue degraded , perhaps due to rubbing when swelling was present. I went back to the surgeon again (a different doctor) and he told me there was nothing he could do because they were below the gum tissue. They don't feel that way and they are interfering with my ability to talk and eat when they are at their worst. He told me to irritate them a few times daily with the back of a toothbrush so they would come out, but this does not make sense to me because they are part of my jaw bone. Is he right? What can I do? It's causing tongue and ear pain!

Occasionally when wisdom teeth are removed one can experience small pieces of bone working there way out of the gum tissue. This is a result of recent extraction or it may happen several years later.  This is usually the result of a normal occurance when the tooth is removed we intentionally break the bone surrounding the tooth (socket), this bone may slowly extrude itself as it no longer is vital to the surface of gum tissue and becomes  nuisance as you have experienced.  This usually occurs in people who have their wisdom teeth removed after the age of 25 in my experience.  In my opinion the best treatment is to brush vigorously over the area rinse with coffee temperature salt water and be paitient it will eventually come out.  Your doctor may want to assist the process by removing the superficial bone.  If it is deep they risk severing the lingual nerve that may result in permanent numbness of your tongue.  Each case is different.  Your best bet would be to see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon in your area

Good luck  

Oral Surgery

Steven A Saxe D.M.D. Board Certified ABOMS

The Dental specialty of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery practice for 22 years

Washington University School of Dental Medicine D.M.D. Sinai Hospital of Detroit Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery