Oral Surgery/Genioplasty complications

Question
Dear Dr. Joel

Thank you for spreading knowledge for people who seek it..
I asked you before two months about my gum and lower anterior teeth numbness after a genioplasty, its now more than 4 months and no improvement, but i start to have throbbing pain sometimes in the roots of the lower teeth, is it a good sign of regain sensation? gum still completely numb i cant even feel it when i brush my teeth, The pain is bothering me, my surgeon said everything will go back to normal in a year but as i read about nerve healing, that if the feeling didnt come back in the first three months then its permanent, anyway, im not happy with the surgery result and im thinking of a full reversal since it caused me aesthetic side effects that the surgeon did not inform me about before the surgery, my question is in case of reversal, is there any more risk of nerve damage? Could the nerve that might be stretched, improve better if its placed back to its original place?

Thank you

Answer
Jeje - Not knowing the exact amount of damage to the nerve, I cannot tell you if any change will occur, but most likely since it has been some time since the surgery, any change in position will not make the numbness better  It could make it worse or it could cause it to stay the same.  It is difficult to predict the outcome of any further change, but after this length of time it probably won't get better from the change.  There is a chance of additional damage to the nerve also.

So I wish I could give you a more exact answer, but it is very difficult to correctly predict any changes.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired