Oral Surgery/Genioplasty Reversal / Ptosis

Question
Soft tissue Ptosis
Soft tissue Ptosis  
I had lower jaw surgery (for an open bite) and chin surgery several months ago. The chin was severely asymmetrical and elongated due to a gap left between the bone segments. The surgical plan was not followed and the original planned advancement was doubled to 8mm. A revision surgery to correct asymmetry, reset advancement back to original planned advancement only and to close the gap to shorten the chin was carried out a month later.
The chin looks shorter but still has the effect of elongating, masculinizing and narrowing an already long face (I have borderline maxillary excess). I'm a young female and this has ruined my looks from a frontal point of view. Additionally, my chin has soft tissue or muscle that sags beneath the chin bone. When I close my lips together, the muscle dimples when I never had any mentalis strain originally.
I want to completely reverse the chin bone to its original position and correct the ptosis. Why would the muscle become unattached from its origins or droop? Why was there a gap left between the bones (when I was told my face would look a bit shorter as a consequence instead)? What method would correct the ptosis? I hear mentalis reattachment is a procedure that tends to fail and I am terrified that I am permanently disfigured. How does wearing a chin strap for 2 weeks help prevent drooping? Please be as technical in your explanations as possible. Thank you so, so much.

Answer
Thank you for your question.
(Why would the muscle become unattached from its origins or droop?) When the chin is advanced, the mental is muscle is cut at its origin. When the tissue is closed after the attachment, the muscle is sutured back together and and chin strap is placed for about 10 to 14 days to allow healing so you don't get the ptosis.
(Why was there a gap left between the bones (when I was told my face would look a bit shorter as a consequence instead)?) There is a gap between the bones as a result of the anterior mandible being cut from its position and advanced. As you move the bone forward, a gap is created at the inferior portion of your mandible and there piece that is moved forward.
(What method would correct the ptosis?) To correct the ptosis, the area needs to be opened again and the mentalis muscle either reattached with sutures or if there is no origin anymore on the bone, a hole is drilled in the bone/mandible and the muscle is attached to the hole created in the bone at where the muscle should be attached to.
(I hear mentalis reattachment is a procedure that tends to fail and I am terrified that I am permanently disfigured. How does wearing a chin strap for 2 weeks help prevent drooping?)The chin strap helps keep the muscle still and keeps pressure at the area  of healing. To help in the healing, the muscle needs to be still without movement so it can reattach. Any movement at the origin or insertion will let the muscle pull off the area of healing and result in ptosis. The procedure does not tend to fail if done correctly. I hope that helps.

Oral Surgery

James M. Ryan. DDS, MS; Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon