Oral Surgery/Lingual tonsil and taste bud

QUESTION: Look at lingual tonsil and taste bud. This one taste bud is irritated and I can move it with my finger almost as if it wants to fall off. Is this a concern?

ANSWER: Steve - Stop it -it is all normal.

QUESTION: Well the last couple days i have had horrible taste in mouth. Almost metallic like taste. I know that could be from a million things but it's horrible. I called about fungal culture they said it takes 3-4 weeks.

ANSWER: Steve -  yes the culture takes a while but the results could help you in the long run.

QUESTION: The burning mouth is coming back and I'm wondering if it could be Sjögren's syndrome. Is that a possibility or not likely?

Steve - If you are really concerned, see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to biopsy your tongue or see and epidemiologist.  Stop looking and driving yourself crazy with the tongue that you are magnifying any appearance by keep looking at it.  The more you pull out the tongue, the drier it gets and problems arise.  Leave it alone and don't dwell on it.

Oral Surgery

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicing for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor at State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA- University of Connecticut DMD-University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical Residency - Roosevelt Hospital, NYC